History

130 meters above the city of Lauchheim, Kapfenburg Castle is located on a hill of the Albtrauf in the Ostalb district. 

The name of the castle derives from the German medieval term "kapfen" which means "staring/gaping" or "overlooking the scenery."

Over the centuries and by changing its function from a fortress to a prestigious residential castle, the institution became an extraordinary architectural ensemble which unites architectural styles of different historical eras. 

With the abolishment of the Teutonic Order, which was based in Kapfenburg Castle for centuries, by Napoleon in 1806, the castle finally passed into the possession of the federal state. 

While individual building complexes were afterwards used by the "Kameralamt" (similar to today's "tax office") and the forestry office of Baden-Wuerttemberg, most of the castle's rooms were empty and unused for almost 200 years.

But finally after extensive renovations, the International Music School Academy and Cultural Center Kapfenburg Castle moved into the former fortress of the Teutonic Order in October 1999.

An Overview of the History of the Castle

12th century - Building of Kapfenburg Castle during the Staufer period in order to control the connecting streets from west to east

1311 - After the fall of the Staufer dynasty, Kapfenburg Castle is taken over by the Earls of Oettingen

1364 - Purchase of the castle by the Teutonic Order which uses the castle to organize their troops for the crusades

1432 - Founding of the Kapfenburg brewery, various leaseholders until its closure in 1960

1525 - Peasants' Revolt: unsuccessful storming

1534 - Building of the bastion

1538 - Building of the “Hohenlohebau”

1590-1627 - Building of the “Westernachbau” which is led by Commander Johann Eustach of Wester­nach; the castle changes its function from a fortress to a prestigious residential castle

1618-48 - Although the castle is plundered during the thirty years' war, it remains intact

1714-19 - Extensive reconstructions and renovations which lead to the castle’s present appearance

1806 - Founding of the Confederation of the Rhine; King Friedrich of Wuerttemberg receives Kapfenburg Castle by Napoleon

1811 - Establishment of a “Kameralamt” (similar to today’s tax office)

1809 - Abolishment of the Teutonic Order in the states of the Confederation of the Rhine

1811-1973 - Partly used as a forestry office

1852 - The Princes’ Hall (“Fuerstensaal”) is used as a prayer hall of the Protestant Diaspora community

1938 - Training institution of the Nationalsozialistischen Wohlfahrt (NSV), meaning “National Socialist People's Welfare”

1945 - The US Army organizes its troops at Kapfenburg Castle; the „Lorenzkapelle“ (Chapel of Lorenz) becomes the church of the protestants of Lauchheim; expellees are accommodated

1961 - Relocation of the restaurant to the “Hohenlohebau;“ the domain turns into the branch office of the penal institution of Schwäbisch Gmünd

1989 - Establishment of a local history museum; partly used for exhibitions since 1990

1999 - The International Music School Academy and Cultural Center Kapfenburg Castle starts its work
Info & contact
Stiftung
Internationale
Musikschulakademie
Kulturzentrum
Schloss Kapfenburg
73466 Lauchheim

Fon +49 7363 96 18 0

info@schloss-kapfenburg.de